Press Releases are an important online vehicle for increasing website traffic from search engines. When preparing a press release, it is import to research, select, and use targeted keywords within the release so that you have the best chance of attracting the desired readership. If done correctly, your announcement will gain exposure in search engines and drive targeted traffic to your website.
When writing, distributing and promoting your press release online, planning search engine optimization (SEO) and social media distribution is key. Here are some tips, websites and ideas to help your next press release make an impact online.
Keyword Research, Links and Press Release
- Research keywords and keyword phrases to identify which keywords will give your release the best exposure. You can do this using Google’s free keyword research tool and by performing your own searches. Look at the results that come up – does your announcement fit with the results? Refine your keywords to match what your audience is looking for. Think: If I searched for [insert keyword] would I want to read this release?
- Select 3-4 primary keywords for the release. Use your keyword and phrases in the headline, sub-head and first paragraph. Remember, good writing is important. Be sure that your keywords are inserted in such a way that the copy flows and the reader is engaged.
- Pay careful attention to your links. Link your keyword phrases, do not link jargon or general phrases like “click here”. Search engine’s make assumptions about your content based on linked terms. DO THIS: “Company XYZ, a social media marketing company…” INSTEAD OF “Company XYZ, a social media marketing company “
- Link to deep relevant pages in the site, not the homepage. Give your readers more information and help them learn more about your company. The homepage is too general. Link to a blog post, a product page, company fact sheet etc.
- Track how many people click and monitor your release’s impact. If you are using Google Analytics, try the URL Builder. Learn how to create trackable links with Google.
Posting Press Releases on a Website
- Optimize the webpage title, description and header tags to communicate the press release content effectively in search results.
- If you are posting a PDF, optimize the PDF Document Properties — Title, Author, Subject, and Keywords.
- Post your releases on a blog platform with RSS capabilities to give the media and others a simple way to subscribe and stay up to date automatically
- Request Google to add your site as a news source
Boost Distribution with Social Media
- Create and distribute a social media press release for use by bloggers and various social media outlets.
- Bookmark releases using social book marking services such as Diigo, Del.icio.us, Digg, Friendfeed, Newsvine or similar services and tag them with keywords. And, when your release is picked up by other news sources, be sure to bookmark those pages as well.
- Write a blog post and Twitter post version of the announcement and include a link to the press release.
Each of the site listed below can help you further distribute your release throughout the web. There are many free services available.
News search engines:
Blog search engines:
Tag based engines: